Old February 6th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Advice needed - transporting cats to UK from Non EU country

Suddenly, without warning, Marcie exclaimed (2/6/2008 3:44 PM):
Hi all,

I am planning on moving to the UK in about a year's time with my three
cats. The issue is that I live in Israel - a country not participating
in the PETS scheme which makes it possible for animals to bypass the
six month quarantine period. I spoke with a PETS representative and
they told me that the only way around that would be to transport my
pets to a participating country, and for the cats to be in that
country for at least six months and then follow the regulations set
out by the PETS scheme from that particular country. The closest
participating country to me is Greece, and so far, I have found only
one boarding cattery there.

I was wondering whether any of the readers here had similar
experiences, or can direct me to sites that can provide sufficient
guidance as to how to go about this. I have access to the PETS and
DEFRA sites already.

Much thanks!

Marcie

I can't help with your query, but I do know of a good quarantine
facility in Yorkshire if you can't avoid some or all of the quarantine.
I've used this place a couple of times.

You gotta be careful of quarantine facilities in the UK, they're not as
a rule government controlled and I've heard some real horror stories.

I'm not sure you have to do the full six months - we moved to the UK
just as PETS was getting underway, and there were no "approved" airline
carriers from our location at that time. We followed all the other
rules, sent her to the quarantine facility, they did the paperwork
petitioning for "early release", and our cat was out of quarantine in 5
days. Have you researched Early Release?

jmc