Old June 21st 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Vets and Canadians

On Jun 20, 7:38 am, dgk wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:31:27 -0700, "

wrote:
As for medications, I have trouble taking medications. I tend to choke
on most pills. They can go partway down and then I choke and cough
them back up. So, I try to avoid medications unless I am desparate.

I guess that's one of the advantages to growing up in the 60's. I have
no trouble taking any kind of pill, even quite a few at once.

It's all mental you know. You swallow much bigger things when you eat
with no thought at all.

I wish it were that simple. M y throat is smaller than normal
(approximately 30% smaller). It is the main cause for my asthma.

I also have choking spams that can come on for no obvious reason. It
is more frequently when I am asleep. I will wake up coughing
repetedly, often inhaling saliva or even choking up acid reflux, which
I then inhale as I am gasping for air. Sometimes, the choking spasms
continue for 20-30 minutes. By then, I am likely to vomit too.
Sometimes, I inhale enough that I am gargling as I breath. It takes a
good hour for that to stop. And once I have an episode, I am more
likely to have an asthma attack. I actually spent a night in the
emergency room the first time this happened.

With the pills, they will usually go down, but sometimes I will start
choking when it is partway down. Sometimes, it will go up and down a
few times before going all the way down or coming back up. I have
actually lost my lunch a few times when taking a pill that normally
goes down. Because my throat is smaller, it is easier for a pill to
hit the gag reflex (which is really strong in my case) and it can also
get stuck. I can feel it burning my throat, and I can eat and drink,
but it stays stuck to the inside of my throat.

I have also had the choking spasms during the day while I am awake and
standing up. Sometimes brought on by a sudden smell. Sometimes i have
no idea what brought it on.

Anyway, I know how to get the pill started down. I just can't
guarantee what it will do on the way down.