Old May 14th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
JJ206

Default Newbie questions: What kind of pet carrier?

Newbie wrote:
[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

First, we want to take her to a vet (Chicago area). She seems to have
no problems, just basic check up and shots. (She spends several hours
outdoors each day.)

What kind of pet carrier should I get that would be good for this
purpose as well as longer drives we may have to take later. In
particular, soft or hard? What kind do you use?

I like the hard carrier as I can use the car seat belt to hold it tight
in place on the passenger seat. I put three towels in there and the
cats like it for vet trips twice a year. But then, they have never tried
a soft carrier, so...

I keep the carrier outside on the side deck and bring it in a few hours
before the vet trip to warm it up in winter. If the cat goes to the
bathroom in the carrier, it is all plastic and metal so I just use soap
and warm water and then hose it down with the garden hose and let it dry
in the sun. But that only happened once so far.

We got our carrier free with our cat from a friend of ours, so go with
whatever is cheapest and if that doesn't work, then go with second
cheapest, etc... If you are on a budget that is...

good luck,

Jonathan