Old May 23rd 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

Default Retirement

On May 21, 9:27*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
*wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for. *The
reception was held now instead of in August because so many people will be
off-campus during the summer. *There was a continuous crowd of people for
the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where everyone stayed
quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not the type where
people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. *I had a truly marvelous
afternoon. The food was spectacular! *I think they had the largest sheet
cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name and an
inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot chicken,
veggies, fresh fruits, etc. *A friend sent a *huge* beautiful floral
arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. *(This friend has been my
"bridge buddy" for many years. *He also used to play bridge with Mother and
Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the nursing
home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)

I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. *That's rather
unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it has
been exceptionally good for me. *This department has had a very high degree
of stability, and it has always been very collegial. *The town is lovely,
and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. *I added a sunroom a couple
of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird watching,
and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the last six years.
I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started developing interests
that will keep me busy. *I'll probably do some volunteer work, and there are
a great many organizations available.

Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been here,
and all four came to the reception. *Another friend took almost 140
pictures. *She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
she succeeded. *In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
afternoon.

So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
upcoming change in my life. *I look forward to it with anticipation but also
with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
behind.

I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. *I usually don't like
posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people on
that NG don't like cross-posting.

MaryL

Congratulations, Mary!!!!! It sounds as though you've had a wonderful
career. I've often thought that being a college professor would have
been my ideal profession. I envy you. I hope you have a great
retirement but, with your skills set, I'm sure that even if you do get
bored, you'll be able to find something else to do that will be
rewarding.

I bet Holly and Duffy will be hapy to have you around more.

Congrats again,
Candace