Old May 10th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Do you believe in "Declawing"....

"Poe" wrote in message
Gloria wrote:
of cats? I DON'T.

No. It is their only defense. Even an indoor cat can scurry out
occasionally. Also, due to unforeseen circumstances an indoor cat may end
up with a new owner who lets them out. Further, I've heard reports of
behavioral problems after declawing. I've never seen it, but I've never
declawed.

There are a number of ways to protect furniture from being damaged -
scratching posts, catnip to attract to spots you want them, and
sprays/tapes that deter from other areas, etc.

I agree. Except, they do have one more defense that people who traumatize
them by declawing them often find out about--when they feel defenseless,
they can become biters. Declawing is mutilation.