Old May 3rd 04, 11:21 PM

Takayuki wrote:

"Duke of URL" wrote:

And then of course the most famous example is Rush Limbaugh, who never
liked cats, who *only* ever had to do with dogs. Then he married and
they got a pair of Abyssinians... It's hilarious to hear his occasional
typical catslave babbling about his little darlings!

He sounds like a wonderful person.

Rush Limbaugh sounds like a wonderful person? Ewww, you can't mean
that, Tak!

Now TBird's Honey is another matter. He does sound like a nice person.

You can add my dad to this list of former non-cat-people. All through
my childhood my father was just barely tolerant of the cats that came
and went in my house. My mom liked to take in strays, and all 3 of us
kids adored them. He was helpless against 4 females looking all sad-eyed
and saying, "Please daddy, can't we keep him/her/them??" The best
time was when we took in a pregnant stray, got to see the kittens one
day after they were born, and kept them until they were 4 weeks old.
(Barbaric, I know, but this was the mid-1960s, and a lot of people,
including vets, believed that kittens were old enough to be separated
from their mother at 4 weeks!)

Anyway, all the while, my dad would grumble and complain about all the
cats underfoot, and occasionally he'd put his foot down and order this
or that stray, or group of cats, to be taken to the shelter. We always
had at least one officially-adopted-from-the-humane-society cat, who was
allowed to stay.

But now my father has his own cat and he's just nuts about him. This cat
takes long walks with my father, which my dad, being somewhat new to cat
behavior (even though he lived with them in our family, he tried to avoid
them as much as possible), thinks is completely unique and that Baxter is
an amazing cat. I don't have the heart to tell him that many other cats
do this, although it's true it's not the norm. I met Baxter on my last
visit last month, and he's very, very cute. Long, lanky brown tabby who
likes to roll around in the dirt. I just find it very sweet that this
long-time dog-person has gotten so attached to a cat. He calls Baxter "a
dog in a cat suit."

Also, there's a book called "My Cat Spit McGee", by Willie Morris, which
is the autobiographical tale of a cat-hater (himself) who married a woman
with cats and proceeded to form a deep bond with a cat. Good story!

Joyce