Old February 15th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

Default Counting stray cats while cycling at night

"Dick Ballard" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:37:30 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Strays or pets? I see other pet cats in my neighborhood (western US),
but few ferals. There are other locations where the feral population
is a problem, and organizations have been formed to
trap/neuter/release as a form of population control.

I think there is a cultural difference between the US and UK regarding
free roaming pet cats. I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

Yes.

In the US, however, there seems to be a strong bias that pet cats MUST
be kept indoors and properly entertained with all sorts of artificial
and fabricated toys & equipment. Most of the privately owned shelters
require an "indoor only" agreement for adoption. The larger
municipally supported agencies are more liberal on this point.

Dick

I'm not going to enter into an argument. It's my opinion that cats like to
go out in UK and they should. If I adopted a cat from a shelter here they
wouldn't let me keep it totally in the house.