Old July 17th 03, 12:27 AM
Uncle Fred

Me wrote:

Jonathan Sachs wrote:

I may drive, although I will try to avoid it; I have a tight
schedule (and tight finances). But I would not dream of driving two
cats 2000 miles in a car. (And no, I do not allow either cat to
drive.) Renting a motorhome would provide a half-way comfortable
environment, but it would be frightfully expensive, would take at
least as long as driving a car, and would leave me with the trouble
and expense of transporting my own car.

I drove my cat from CA to WI back when I was just out of graduate
school, in a rental car. There are a surprising number of motels
that allow pets. I had tranquilizers from the vet, but didn't need
them. The vet just said to use them if I absolutely had to. Opus
cried for the first 15 minutes, then alternately slept and sat and
looked around. I took a big cardboard box that wedged into the front
passenger seat and replaced one half of the top with a wire basket.
So he had space to hide but could stick his head up and look around
and see me if he wanted. We took frequent breaks for water, food and
litter access. I took three days to do the trip, and the weather was
NASTY (snow, sleet, etc).

Julie

That's great. The first rule in transporting cats by car is to make
sure the cat doesn't get away from you at a rest stop and start
trying to find it's own way home. Security is important, and that
also means no accidents. Be really safety concious.
If a plane trip is planned with an extra cat escort, that will be
probably the best under the circumstances mentioned. It's wonderful
that you're taking such care of your cats. You should be fine with
this degree of planning.

--
Regards,
Fred