Old June 11th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

Default Buffy's Hiding Off and On

On 2021-06-08 7:03 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
Buffy has started hiding again, off and on.Â* In the last day
or so she has started fighting me giving her the liquid pain
medication. She did sleep with me last night but when I got
up this morning to dish up her food, fresh water, etc. she
got off the bed and hid on the chair under the dining
table.Â* I went about getting ready for work.Â* While I was in
the shower she came out and ate half the food, then went
back up on the chair again.

I know it's uncomfortable if I have to force her mouth open.Â*
I wish, wish, wish! she could understand the cause and
effect: she feels a heck of a lot better within minutes if
she simply opens her mouth a tiny bit without my having to
wrangle with her and touch the sore spot on her jaw.Â* It
takes one second to squirt the medication in her mouth.

I picked up refills of the medication after work today.Â* They
want to see her again on June 18th.Â* If she continues in
this vein I'm afraid that Friday appointment could be her
last.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Thank you.Â* She has absolutely refused to let me medicate her
since I posted that.Â* I'm about to try again just to see if I
can make her feel better for a little while.Â* I changed the
appointment to tomorrow, 10/11.Â* Tonight will be my last night
with her. Â* My heart is breaking but I know it's the right
thing to do.

I am thinking of you - all the more because I had to bring Cinnamon
in when she suddenly worsened badly, only days after the vet
thought she'd be good til the fall. I pretty well knew I wouldn't
be bringing her home. I could still medicate Cinnamon, but she
wouldn't eat or unless I syringe fed her and was so lethargic and
weak. I just knew, and I guess you do too.

Yes. And my heart goes out to you about Cinnamon. It's so sad how
quickly they can decline and that decision has to be made.

When I got home I found she had eaten a few bites of her gooshy food.
She had urinated a little in the litter box. She was curled up on
her crackle sack and I was able to get some of the pain medication in
her mouth. But she YOWLED at me and she's back on the chair under
the table. I can't keep putting her through this. It's time.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Cheryl. I'll be a wreck tomorrow,
driving home with an empty carrier.

Jill

So sorry Jill. Like many, I've been there too.