Old April 22nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
capricious

Default Former feral cat Behavior

On Apr 19, 9:24 am, "
wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Not sure if this is will be an echo of something already said, but, in
my experiences with feril cats:

They are very slow to accept the domestication lifestyle and still
allow their inner instincts to rule their life instead of basic
"logic". Instead of thinking "Oh its just my owner" they only think
"Something BIG is moving, YIKES!". With my feril cats though, after
they finally did get over their skiddishness and relax, they turned
out to be some of the most dedicated cats I've owned. They truly seem
to show their genuine appreciation for you taking them in under their
wing. Again, this is in my experience with 5-7 different feril cats
throughout my lifetime. Almost all turned out to have this same type
of loyalty--almost dog-like. A high percentage of life-long-
domesticated cats seem to be much more independent, whereas ferils
seem to recognize your importance in their life more.

In short, in the end with good patience, it's worth it!