Old February 14th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default [OT] Safety alert

I awoke to the sound of the Yowlet's panicked screams last night, and went
to see what was wrong. A thread from the cotton-weave 'hospital' blanket
had seperated and was wrapped very tightly around his arm, to the point
where his hand had started to go blue. I removed the thread, massaged
the circulation back, and got him back to sleep (eventually). But I kept
thinking... I had got that blanket over a 'regular' blanket because I had
been lead to believe that said blankets presented less of a risk of
suffocation. But if it had been his neck rather than his arm....
Please regularly check those type of blankets for loose threads, and if
there are any, its probably best just to chuck the blanket away.

We had a kitten nearly hang herself on a fringed chair cover - the
loops were big enough for her to get her head through and then she
twisted round. After cutting her free I snipped all the fringe loops
open. Wasn't a risk I'd ever imagined. (Then again, I wouldn't
have imagined "hair-thread tourniquet syndrome" either - google for
it and you will never entirely trust your undies again).