Old August 5th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Kitty Cat Sounds (WAS: Cat Nicknames?)

On 8/4/2016 7:01 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:16:35 -0700, Joy
wrote:

When I first got Lindy (RB), she would often run through the house,
apparently looking for something or somebody, and making "Yik! Yik!
Yik!" sounds. I used to call her "Yickaby."

LOL. I have heard those kind of noises before from cats. Lucy has a
quirky kind greeting that I swear she is trying to say 'hello'.

Funny cat sounds:

Buffy occasionally meows while she's running towards me. Actually more
like toward her eating station. The action of trotting along while
meowing seems to jostle her voicebox. She sounds for all the world like
Katherine Hepburn in the film 'The African Queen'. "Miiisssster
Allnut!" I promise Buffy has never seen the movie. LOL

One sound I've not [yet] heard her make is those chattery sounds cats
tend to make when they see birds, etc. It took her several months
before she even paid any attention to the outdoor critters. Now she
watches, but doesn't say a word.

Then there are the sounds Buffy makes if she sees a *cat* wandering
across the patio or back yard. OMG. Interloper! She gets extremely
angry, territorial and defensive. She turns into an orange striped
Halloween cat. Arched back, fur on end, tail puffed up to three times
normal size. HISSSSING. She howls like the proverbial Banshee. It's a
very scary sound! Fortunately my neighbor is keeping the cat (yep she's
cat-sitting Blaze again) indoors.

The most lovely cat sound, of course, is the purring. Sometimes I can
only feel her purr. Other times she purrs more audibly. Usually when
I'm stretched out reading a book.

It's very sweet when she purrs in my ear. Just please, not at 3AM.

Jill