Old July 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

Default Peeing on the Cat Mat

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote

Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all.

Some cats like two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. It's
not that much trouble for you, and since you are new to cats,
let me tell you, it never pays to have a battle of wills with them
over elimination matters. She is trying to tell you something, and
rather politely. Some just pee in the middle of your bed.

If we had two, would they be next to each other, or in different parts of
the house?

Since she is peeing on the mat, I would try close by--with room for her
to step out of one and into the other. If she were my cat, I would first
try
placing the new box where she peed on the mat. I would be tempted to
remove
the mat, as some cats "prefer to pee on fabric." (A direct quote from my
vet,

It's not a fabric mat, it's something that is made to slip under the entrace
of the litterbox. It is plastic, with texture that is supposed to remove
litter from the cat's feet after exiting the box.

But do try the second box first, and I assume you have had her
checked for a UTI. If not, please do.

Since this is something that she does at most once every week or two, and
the rest of the time she pees in the box, I don't see any reason to think it
is a UTI.