Old August 18th 13, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Litter box stuff

Still using Sterilite boxes for litter boxes. Using the kind with
clear and shiny smooth sides, apparently they never get dirty (or if
they do, they don't stay dirty). Also using Arm & Hammer Essentials
Natural cat litter. It doesn't clump very well, but it's light and
genuinely dust free.

One is huge, over 100 quarts. Being smooth all around the sides helps
with scooping. The other is taller, not quite as large, and has some
slight obstructions. My feral cat no longer throws litter outside of
the box, with no need for a covered litter box. They have no problem
jumping over the sides. Last I noticed, my most recent rescue climbs
up onto the side before jumping in.

Grocery store style ordinary litter boxes seem a little strange
nowadays.

Also useful is Astroturf placed around the litter box to eliminate
tracking. Amazon sells large pieces cheap (currently $39.00 for 3
feet by 5 feet, shipped free in the USA). I have bought many of them.
Covered with paper towels, they work great for cat sleeping mats too.

Good luck and have fun.

--
I have mentioned this before, but it's such an important part of
taking care of cats, it's worth talking about again IMO.