Old January 10th 04, 10:41 AM
MaryL

"Dick Ballard" wrote in message
One of our cats loves to splash water in the area around his water
bowl before drinking. He does this with his paw - looks like he is
trying to clear debris (water is clear) or is trying to establish
where the surface is.

I'm getting tired of cleaning up the floor. How can I stop this
behavior without discouraging him from drinking? I've even switched to
a Drinkwell fountain with the running water and he still splashes
water all over the place.

Dick Ballard

Many cats do this (including my Holly). I solved the problem by placing her
bowl in one of those plastic vegetable bins -- the type with one low side,
designed so they can stack and a person can reach in to each level. The low
side permits the cat to easily drink from the container. The three high
sides prevent water from splashing out. Any spilled water would be
contained within the plastic bin. Ironically, though, Holly doesn't splash
water as long as the bowl is within this containment, but she and Duffy both
drink readily from it.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'