Old October 22nd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

Default One cat is scared, the other ignores us.

On Oct 21, 5:52 pm, Cheryl wrote:
On Sun 21 Oct 2007 08:39:28p, CindyBreninger wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

The cats are a brother and sister, two years old. They lived in
a college dorm and who knows what could have happened. They are
indoor cats and litterbox trained. They are mellow and nice
cats, just scared. They always have been. I was just wondering
if anyone had ideas on how to make them feel more comfortable.
Should I buy cat treats? Get them a new cat house? Right now
they sleep with the kids at night and the boy cat crawls up with
my son and the girl with my daughter. At night, they both purr
and seem happy. Somehow they both end up on my bed in the
morning. But, during the day, they will hide and the girl cat
acts scared. Other times, she is fine. It is weird.

Not wierd at all! I have a former feral and she is as scared
as can be. Most of the time. Been here 4 years, but she came from
the outside and had to fend for herself before coming here. To
this day, I can't pick her up. She seeks out affection on her own
terms, but probably will never be a lap cat. She freaks out when
two hands come toward her, but is fine when its just one. She
sleeps on my bed, but is hesitant to jump on the couch to sit next
to me. She will sit at my feet and allow my feet to pet her more
than allow my hands to pet her.

Cats are quirky. They both obviously trust your kids if they will
sleep with them. Maybe encourage them to sit on the floor and play
gently with cat toys with them? Like the toys with feathers on
sticks. The cats are young, so they'd probably love to chase
feathers. I'd encourage the kids to stay low, offer some treats
(if the cats are not overweight) and maybe teach a game of fetch.
Yes, cats can learn fetch games! After some time, I'd imagine
that both cats will be more comfortable with the kids, though
don't expect it to happen overnight. And be prepared for setbacks.
But it sounds like they will be fine.

--
Cheryl

Thanks! I think somehow I started off on the wrong foot here. This is
a good group and very interesting...do over? hehe Ok, that's what my
kids say when we just want to start over. I think it might apply
here.