Old February 9th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Cat Psychology

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (2/8/2010 4:01 PM):
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:33:54 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.
Sentimental twaddle.
Wouldn't a proper forum on cats be all about sentiments?

Not "all" about, but sentiment is certainly a large part. It's not
the sentiment I object to, but the twaddle.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in
particular. But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings
for me.
Then I guess you never had your tomcat bring you a bird or lizard
it killed especially for you.

A mouse, actually, but what has that to do with love?

I am not sure you should have cats, Stan. A short while ago I had a migraine
and the accompanying terribly retching. You would think my old cat would run
for the hills. Instead, she hovered, stayed close to me, tried to sleep
right up against me until she read my signals and saw that I really needed
to be left alone. It was unusual behavior for her. Every time I opened the
bathroom door she was there looking worried, and she followed me back to
bed, jumped up, and meowed questioningly. This is not anthropomorphism. It
was not feeding time. She was worried about me. They most certainly do love.
And presenting prey is indeed done in part to show their esteem.

I've heard a couple of theories on the mouse-gift behavior:

1. It's a present
2. They're showing off - look at me the mighty hunter!
3. They are trying to help - you go out all the time and never bring
back any food (cats likely don't understand groceries, per this theory),
so they think you're a terrible hunter and are trying to help.

#3 sounds real cute except they do see us eat

Knowing cats, I'm going with a combination of #1 and #2

As far as the worried behavior when you're sick - Yes, Meep does that
too. It's very comforting when I feel like crap, to have her curl up
near me and purr.

jmc