Old May 3rd 04, 11:50 PM
Dan M

But now my father has his own cat and he's just nuts about him. This cat
takes long walks with my father, which my dad, being somewhat new to cat
behavior (even though he lived with them in our family, he tried to avoid
them as much as possible), thinks is completely unique and that Baxter is
an amazing cat. I don't have the heart to tell him that many other cats
do this, although it's true it's not the norm. I met Baxter on my last
visit last month, and he's very, very cute. Long, lanky brown tabby who
likes to roll around in the dirt. I just find it very sweet that this
long-time dog-person has gotten so attached to a cat. He calls Baxter "a
dog in a cat suit."

About the only good thing I can say about my ex-wife is that she
introduced me to cats. Prior to meeting Vera, I was strictly a dog
person. I didn't dislike cats, I just had never spent any time with them
so didn't care for them either way.

Once I started dating her, though, I quickly found out how wonderous
kitties are. After getting home from work and taking care of the chores
that needed to be done, I'd collapse onto a chair in the living room and
her Himalayan female, Cassandra, would curl up on my lap and I'd start
petting her. A couple hours later Vera would walk past and say "you're
STILL petting that cat?" and sure enough, I'd still be petting. It just
felt completely natural.

Since that time I've never been without a cat, and can't imagine life
without feline companionship.

Dan