Old October 1st 04, 05:31 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep, Elise wrote:

I must admit to figuring out what "x" is equal to on a fairly regular
basis.
Of course I loved Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus in school and hated
picking apart various well-told stories to find the deeper meanings
within.

I almost gave up on math and science (like I could -- I love
'em too much) when my plane geometry teacher marked a question wrong
on a test because I didn't do it "his way", but with calculus that I
had learned on my own, two years ahead of schedule.

Allow me a brief poetic interlude:

But what are all such gaieties to me,
who's head is full of indices and surds.
X squared plus seven x plus fifty-three
equals eleven thirds.

(Author unknown -- at least I've forgotten)

Regards and Purrs,
O J

e to the x, dx/dy
Cosine secant theta prime