Old September 16th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee

Default Angie hates me

Adam wrote:
This message more properly belongs in r.p.c.health+behav, but that
group seems to be predominantly off-topic. Anyway...

I am a volunteer cat socializer at the local SPCA, and doing pretty
well. There are several cats that no one but me is able to hold.
Unfortunately one of the cats, an adult named Angie, hates me. (I
believe she was simply "dropped off" at the shelter.) When I try to
touch her, she hisses at me. When I try to scratch her head, she
swats me. (Fortunately for me she is declawed.) If I happen to be
within five feet of her cage, she snarls at me. This makes things
especially difficult when I am trying to work with the cats in
adjacent cages. When I try to be nice to her, she hisses, snarls, and
swats. I've tried offering her catnip. I've tried brushing her. I've
even tried hissing and growling at her, to show her I'm not
afraid of her (and I can "out-stare" her, too), but nothing makes any
difference in her behavior. She is not like this with anybody else,
not with the men and women who work there, nor the men, women, and
children who come through looking at cats. Thursday they had to put
a sheet over her cage, so she couldn't see me while I was handling
the cats in nearby cages!
What is going on here? What can I do to stop her from reacting to me
so strongly? How can I turn her into an adoptable pet?

Adam

Du Yu 'spoze dat sumheow yu remynd hur ov sumbody hu treeted hur meen?

I yike yu Unka Adam, if dat hewlpz, an itz gud dat yu ar hewlpink udder
kitteez,
juzt not diz wun.

--
Pitö.önya