Old January 14th 09, 05:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Evelyn

Default Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
h wrote:

"SMS" wrote:

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.

Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs
cats need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are
probably why my furballs are good indoor mousers!

My daughter's cats and mini-dachshund have eaten dry food (probably
Kirkland) all their lives. She fills up one of those feeders that holds a
gallon or so whenever it's enpty. The animals are healthy, but the dog
has a bit of extra weight due to shared snacks with the grandspawn.

This goes against everything I've ever heard about dog-feeding --
"No matter how much you give them they'll eat it all RIGHT NOW". The dog
nibbles just like the cats. She'd be happy as a vegetarian and loves
carrots, fruit, broccoli, peanut butter...

I've also understood that the "affection" shown by cats is just marking
the producer of the food as theirs. Since these cats are fed by some
miraculous ever-generous invisible god, any friendliness would seem to be
genuine. 3 of the cats are extremely friendly and one is kind of shy, but
eventually warms up.

--
Cheers, Bev
While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.

Our cats (3) get one can in the morning which they share, and another can in
the evening which they also share. The rest of the time they eat very good
quality dry food, as much as they want. I have been buying science diet
indoor cat for them which is not cheap. I have heard all that about not
feeding them dry food, but if I only fed them cans I would go broke. They
catch mice and birds and chipmunks and moles outside for fun and snack food.
All three are healthy and happy with silky shiny fur and bright eyes and no
problems. In fact I'd like to get these cats jobs and send them out to
work!!!!!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world