Old August 1st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

Default Euthanasia - not sure what to do.

The Other Mike wrote in
news
Wife and I have been together for about 10 years (married and living
together for 4). She's had her cat since he was a kitten...he's 18
years old now. He's going downhill...he has tumors in his chest and
spots on his liver. Over the past 4 months or so he started throwing
up alot and losing alot of weight. Over the past 3 weeks, his abdomen
is filling up with fluids and he's pretty bloated. Over this time
we've been to the vet numerous times (and a vet hospital in the city
besides our local vet). All said that it's probably cancer and that's
why the abdomen is filling with fluids. We don't want to put him
through more tests due to his age (and the vets agreed)....we've had
his abdomen drained a few times but it doesn't really seem to help
much since they can't get too much out without sedating him. He is
still eating and drinking, but sleeps all day and doesn't seem
interested in much...can't really move around with his bloated belly.
The problem is...I think it's time to put him down....my wife doesn't.
She wants to keep trying to have him drained and is waiting for that
definitive sign that it's time. She says that since he's still
interested in eating and purrs once in a while (it's actually rare
anymore) that he's not ready. What do you think? And if you agree
with me...how would you convince your spouse without causing
resentment ? She's had the cat since he was a kitten so in my mind,
it's her that needs to make that final decision...but I don't want the
cat to suffer waiting for it.

I think she needs to hear it from the vet. If it's really time, the vet
should make it quite clear to both of you together. Make sure he's
specific and not vague, so there's no doubt in her mind. Sometimes we
hear only what we want to hear, especially at such a difficult time.
I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Bobble