View Single Post
Old July 23rd 19, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Ravenous kitties

We feed our kitties both dry food and wet food. We leave dry food down so they can graze (but have to put it in a puzzle bowl to keep Ranger from scarfing it down too fast and puking), and I set out three dishes of wet food for breakfast and for dinner.

A couple months ago I noticed that Sammy had gotten pretty skinny, so I set about encouraging him to eat more of the wet food. My efforts have paid off - he will eat all of the wet food I give him, will wait for Ranger to finish his (Ranger only eats a very small amount of wet food) and finishes it. I feed them first thing in the morning, as soon as I get up. I feed the dog and the garage cats and go about my normal morning activities, then the next time I walk through the kitchen I find Sammy and Francesca staring at me, giving me pleading, starving looks so I give them ANOTHER breakfast.

When I get home from work, same thing again. Francesca sits on the kitchen counter and Sammy sits in the middle of the kitchen floor, staring. I feed them, feed the dog, feed the garage cats, take my shoes off, etc. Next time I walk through the kitchen, Sammy and Francesca are both giving me the "poor starved kitty" look. Out comes another can, and they get second dinner.

I haven't had Sammy back to the vet for a little while so I don't know how much the extra feeding has been helping him, but I can definitely tell that he's putting back on some of the weight that he had lost.