Old September 25th 04, 08:59 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:58:01 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Ginger-lyn,

I know this has been a very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful
situation for you. However, in the future, please (1) get the adoptive
"parent" to sign the adoption papers, including the declaw agreement,
*before* you release a cat into their care; and (2) have a serious
discussion about declaw and make sure that there will be no "afterthoughts"
about it -- again, *before* adoption (or fostering, if that could lead to
adoption).

MaryL

I know, Mary, and I had the phone screen interview, the adoption
agreement, and everything ready to go. This is the first time I have
tried to place a cat privately, and it was a desperate situation at
the time to get her out of here and into somewhere else temporarily.
Unfortunately, the temporary person took matters into her own hands
before I could stop her :-( If I could have kept the kitten here, it
would have gone much more the way I had planned, but that wasn't an
option. Believe me, in the future, if anything like this ever arises
again, I won't let one go without making it clear that these steps
must be taken first, whether it's to a fosterer or a prospective
adoptive parent. It just didn't dawn on me at all that a fosterer
would ever be the type to promote declawing -- I have never heard/read
of such a thing. Every fosterer I have ever known or read about is
anti-declaw. Now I know better.

We'll see what she does when I send her the material. Any purrs would
be appreciated that she signs and agrees with the anti-declaw
statement.

Ginger-lyn
Exhausted