Old November 10th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
aksumabys

Default Death Therapy

On Oct 13, 3:56*pm, "Tom+Gracie+Jenny" wrote:
We have the two calicos, Gracie and Jenny, sisters from the same
litter, two and a half years old.

We did, rather. *Today, Jenny passed away. *I found her lying there,
did artificial respiration, rushed her to a vet who pronounced her
dead, probably of a heart attack.

Before we did the cremation route, I brought the body home. *My wife
spent time cuddling her, and suggested something ... her idea was to
have Gracie see the body, sniff it, investigate it.

Gracie did indeed investigate. *Probably recognized the death smell, -
and- the Jenny smell, and put two and two together. *She seems to
know, Jenny is passed on. . . . After a while, Gracie went across the
room, and sat and watched us for a while.

I've brought the body to be cremated, and am back home.

After that, Gracie has been staying close to us. *Sitting next to me
while I am at the computer. *Lying next to my wife as she took a nap.

The question is:

... What do you all do with a cat who has lost her companion?

We had the two of them so they could play together. *They've never
been separated. *Now Gracie will have the whole house to roam around
in by herself.

My wife is talking of getting another two and a half year old,
definately not a kitten.

Me, I don't know. *Please let me know your thoughts. *All three of us
seem to miss Jenny terribly already.

Tom

Take this at your own pace. It is a very personal journey. Talk to
your wife about when you both would feel comfortable about getting
another cat. Then consider looking at your local shelters for one, or
possibly a retired purebred, since you are more interested in an adult
cat.
http://www.petfinder.com
http://www.breedlist.com/retired/index.html

As for the introductory process, the best advice I have seen on that
is on the Abyssinian rescue site, but applies to any breed.
http://www.abyssinian-rescue.com/advice.htm

Condolences and Best Wishes for your new cat.
-Susan
http://aksumabyssinians.com