Old May 26th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

"Greg Bailey" wrote

so. I will be more careful with bug spray from now on, ants are eating us
alive in the South this summer but I'd rather have ants than harm one of
my felines. My question is, even though the vet has painted a very
optimistic picture about this, could there be any chance of lasting
damage, and if so what do I need to look for?

I'm sorry this happened and can't answer the question, but I can help in
other ways.

Ant control. I too live in the south. I use a very old home remedy
outdoors. On a dry day, take grits and make a small pile over any mounds
you can find. Also, if you know an ingress path to your house, along that.
They eat it and it kills them. They carry it back to the mound and it kills
the queen. Works on all types of ants. They have to be dry when eaten to
work. I believe corn meal is supposed to work too? The grits wont harm
anything but hard carapaced insects and not all of those. I don't advise
this indoors though because roaches arent killed with grits ;-) If you have
ants, you probably have a roach issue in your area too and have to be
careful.

There are inside types of sprays made for houses with small children and
pets. I think they are referred to as 'green pesticides'?