Old May 27th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Default Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

I'm sorry this happened. I hope your cat is ok. What I would look for if
this happens in the future is vomiting. When they throw up and aren't acting
their sweet selves, it's a clear indicator they have an illness. One of the
possibilities is kidney damage. If they shut down then you have a serious
problem. In the future I would put his water dish a little higher. I keep my
cats water dishes on the dining room table ever since I had a problem a long
time ago with ants. I haven't had an issue since. BTW, you can kill ants
using regular glass cleaner. Find one that is kitty and environmentally
safe. Good luck.

"Greg Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
One of my cats (4-year-old male) is at the vet right now. Short version, I
sprayed for ants (Raid) around the baseboard in the kitchen where his
water and food bowls sit. I thought I had waited until it dried enough to
put them back, but apparently I didn't and some either got in his
food/water or he got it on his paws and licked it off (he's a very
fastidious groomer), because this a.m. he started showing signs of having
ingested it. His pupils were way dilated, he didn't seem like he was in
pain or anything but he looked he was practically stiff with fright
although he was walking around OK and did eat something. I took him
immediately to the vet, who came in on the holiday, and he took one look
at the cat and said he did get into ant/roach spray because he's showing
the signs of it having made his nervous system hyper which is what that
does. The vet says the cat seems in good shape otherwise, checked his
heart, breathing, etc., so he gave him a shot of atropine, will keep him
overnight and expects him to be OK in 24 hours or so. I will be more
careful with bug spray from now on, ants are eating us alive in the South
this summer but I'd rather have ants than harm one of my felines. My
question is, even though the vet has painted a very optimistic picture
about this, could there be any chance of lasting damage, and if so what do
I need to look for?