Old November 9th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Smudge brought home a guest

A couple of nights ago I heard Smudge outside the front door, making
all sorts of odd meowing sounds. I opened the door, but didn't see
her. So I stepped outside and peered around a small cabinet on the
porch, and found her in mid-stalk toward some prey I couldn't see,
which was apparently hiding behind a bunch of empty plant pots. I do
get plenty of spiders out there, so I wished her good luck and went
back inside.

About 10 minutes later, I heard her meowing to come in, so I opened
the door again, but NOT the screen door. I wanted to make sure she
wasn't going to bring any creepy crawlies into the house. So I said,
"Look at me, Smudge, let me see your mouth!" She meowed, and dropped
the prey that she indeed had in her mouth - a fat little mouse or
baby rat, which went scurrying off. Thank god I had the presence of
mind not to open the door!

She went scurrying off after it, so it was a while before I heard
her meowing to be let in again. (Which I didn't do before a thorough
check!)

Joyce