Old March 14th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Dry cat food recall

buglady wrote:
On 3/13/2013 8:58 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I
mean, its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)

..........for one thing, you might feel differently if you were
spending money at the vet because your cat was sick when it was
caused by a food that has the "complete and balanced" mantra stamped
on it.
All the B vitamins are water soluble and not stored in the body and
need constant replacement.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/thiamin...ats/page1.aspx

Vets do not automatically assume it's the food, though after all the
melamine poisonings they should always question the food.

...........This has happened before with essential vitamins in pet
food. Look for more recalls as it's probably an issue with a
vitamin/mineral mix they bought from..........somewhere.

buglady
take out the dog before replyingI think I get around this by varying the
food my cats get. they quickly get tired of any pone brand, so I am always
buying them a big variety of different stuff, as well as feeding them
table scraps and the deli meat from my sandwiches. One of them likes
cantalope and honydew melons. nother one gave up on cat food some time
aqgo and now she only eats the same stuff my wife and I eat. (fish &
chicken) If a pe3t food poisoned any of thiom, I probably wouldn't know
which one it was unless I sent it all to a lab to be tested. but the
general principal is, if you (or your cats) eat a large variety, then they
will get all the vitamins and minerals they need. The danger is in feeding
them just one and the same thing all the time. When you do that, you are
putting all your eggs in one basket and are trusting everything on the
integrity of just one manufacturer. - Bad news for buying stocks or
feeding cats.....