Old January 19th 17, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default Kitten Converts Reluctant Owner

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:06:41 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I understand that, especially since I love to cook. (I carry a timer
around with me if timing is critical. LOL) BTW, should RPCA get hit
with a spate of trolls, our response on this ng (other than outright
killfiling them) is to frustrate them by posting recipes!

I've suspected you were the same Jill McQuown from rec.food.cooking! So, be
advised that your reputation in the online culinary community has preceded you.

Don't worry, I'm not a "google stalker" or anything, it's just that when you're
a man living alone - or with a feline friend who also loves to eat - sometimes
you find yourself rummaging through your cupboards to see what you have,
entering your list of available ingredients into a search engine, and hoping to
stumble across a recipe that looks like it might not be beyond your cooking
capabilities. In so doing, I've run across some recipes you've posted to RFC,
its unofficial website, or elsewhere. The best that you could probably say about
my own culinary skills is that so far I haven't starved to death when left to my
own devices in the kitchen and occasionally I even learn something new, but
Minnie, being the very smart kitty that she is, watches what I do in the kitchen
very carefully, and just last night she rescued me from a potential disaster.

When your cat starts alerting you to your mistakes, you know you're not quite an
expert yet.

FWIW, I've always wanted to try your signature potato leek soup, but while
potatoes are plentiful enough in my neck of the woods, finding somebody who
grows leeks around here seems to be like looking for the proverbial needle in a
haystack. I find that a little strange - we're not all THAT far from PA - but in
this area the farmers and gardeners seem to go for plain old onions and act like
they've never even heard of leeks if you ask. So that's what I'm up against
here. If you live in Niagara Falls, "low country" is the infamous Love Canal
neighborhood about a half a mile from me that's been abandoned because it's
contaminated with toxic waste that was dumped there decades ago.

That's another reason I don't want my cat outside. The creek that runs through
my back yard runs right through that area a bit upstream from here. For all I
know, you might be able to grow great-tasting leeks there...but if you let your
cat eat them, her kittens might come out with 6 ears, 3 eyes, and 2 tails.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY