Old July 25th 03, 01:16 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wombn
wrote:

| what about their teeth? I'm assuming that wild cats' teeth are cleaned
| when they chew on bones, right?

No. The little known fact is that cats can't chew. Their dentition is
optimized for shearing flesh, and the anatomy is such that they can't
move their jaws side to side against each other (necessary for chewing),
only up and down like scissors.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

| And at least some dry food could help with that?

No. The crunching is just the instinctive shearing action of biting
into food. The kibble goes down the gullet in pieces, not crumbs. The
received wisdom is that absolutely fresh raw meat is best for teeth and
gum health. No surprise, there.