Old July 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Phil P.

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
In , wombn
wrote:

| what about their teeth? I'm assuming that wild cats' teeth are cleaned
| when they chew on bones, right?

No. The little known fact is that cats can't chew. Their dentition is
optimized for shearing flesh, and the anatomy is such that they can't
move their jaws side to side against each other (necessary for chewing),
only up and down like scissors.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Well saif. I couldn't have explained it better myself...

Here's why cat's can't chew as in mastication:

http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/Dentary...edial_view.jpg

Notice that the condyloid processes in cats are bar-shaped (like a door
hinge) - which allows them to hold struggling prey like a clamp - but the
shape also reduces rotary and lateral grinding movements. The condyloid
process humans is more ovate which allows rotary motion. Humans rarely
need to subdue struggling prey!

Phil.