Old November 2nd 09, 09:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Can cats consume lactose-free milk?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Lesley" wrote in message
On Nov 1, 8:16 am, informer wrote:
I heard that it's not good to give cats a saucer of milk. I then read
somewhere that the problem lies in the lactose content. So, can cats
consume lactose-free milk without getting sick?

You can buy lactulose free milk specifically sold as cat milk

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Persial drinks the same milk I do (usually fat free milk or 1% milkfat).
But she doesn't get it daily. She gets a little drizzle (less than a
tablespoonful) of it every couple of weeks as a treat. But every time I
go near the refrigerator she's yelling at me to give her milk. She loves
the stuff. It doesn't make her ill or give her diarrhea because I don't
give it to her often. Certainly not as often as she demands it

Jill

I think the bad reaction depends on the cat. Herbie (RB) insisted on having
an ounce or two of milk every day. He never got sick from it. He'd drink
anything from skim milk to half and half. Skeeter (RB) hated milk, but
because Herbie had some, she insisted on having some too. I'd give her
about a teaspoon of it. You could almost see her shudder as she drank it.
I swear if she had hands she'd have been holding her nose. But she drank
every drop, so that Herbie couldn't get it.

Joy