Old July 2nd 03, 03:08 AM
MaryL

"Sara" wrote in message
I'm trying to acclimate my two cats to carriers in preparation for a
trip that will take 7-8 hours, sometime this autumn. The girls have
separate carriers. The smaller kitty will be in the intermediate size
Kennel Cab and the bigger one will be in a large carrier of the same
brand.

Since I will be traveling alone in a compact car with the kitties, I
don't think it would be a good idea to let them out of the carriers at
rest stops to use a litter box on the car floor. So I am trying to
come up with ways to handle the elimination problem.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this subject!

I travel with a litter box on the floor behind the driver's seat. I have
never had any trouble temporarily letting cats out of the carrier (with
doors closed and locked!), but I have also found that the cats never use the
litter box until I reach a motel for the night. I used to worry about it,
but it doesn't seem to bother them at all -- and, as I said, they don't take
advantage of the litter box when given an opportunity. The only time I have
had a cat actually use the litter box in the car was with one cat that was
quite elderly and needed the box more frequently. I really think this would
be easier than trying to place litter in the carrier unless you think your
cats will be so frightened that you can't get them back into the carriers.
It might be a good idea to take the two of them on a couple of practice runs
and stop someplace where you could remove from the carriers and see if you
can get them back into the carriers while still in the car.

Good luck!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of Duffy's integration into our
household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56