Old February 22nd 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Rant - Department of Motor Vehicles and other absurdities

"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

From: "jmcquown"

She cut me off mid-sentence and informed me I can't
possibly have the title to my car because it still has a lien on it. I
said
no, I paid the loan off in May, 2004. She came within a fraction of an
inch
of calling me a liar. She said (snippily) I couldn't possibly have
paid it
off because that's not what her computer shows.

It sounds like you never had the lien removed.

I loaned a friend money to buy a car (once, many years ago), and put a
lien on the title (He wasn't a good enough friend to make it an
unsecured loan).
When he paid it off, I had to give him a notarized statement that the
loan was paid,
he took it to the RMV, and the lien was removed from the title.

It's not like this is the first car I've ever bought. I didn't have to
do anything special any other time I bought a car. I paid the car off,
got the title was mailed to me, no muss, no fuss. I didn't have to do
anything extra or special. And this wasn't a private-party sale. I
bought the car new from a car dealership.

As far as the bank goes, the dealership's bank financed the car. They
don't know what friggin bank they used 5 years ago. I'll see if my bank
can get me a copy of the check I wrote to them. It's a start.

Jill

How long has it been since you checked your apartment? Perhaps a quick
trip is in order and you could also pick up the title while there,

I haven't been there since last May. I expected to get back in July but
then wound up in the hospital. Wasn't expecting that! The apartment
manager is keeping an eye on things. But she doesn't have a key to my file
cabinet and she wouldn't know how to figure out my filing system even if she
did have one.