Old November 5th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

wrote in message
oups.com...
thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!

snip Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
in the same way that she seems to be.
I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
had for sale too.

snip
Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
Regards Sheelagh

Sheelagh, thank you for accepting advice to take your cat to a vet. This
way, you can get a diagnosis and advice on how to proceed. Let's hope it is
not ringworm -- but if it is, the faster you act, the better. And I would
also be suspicious of the breeder, just as you said.

Fortunately, I have never experienced ringworm, so I am working only on what
I have read. It is treatable, but takes constant vigilance while you work
with your cat (and you will probably also receive instructions for cleansing
your home, in the event ringworm is diagnosed). Here are a few sites you
might want to look at before you visit the vet:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthringworm.htm
http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm
http://ebiz.hibernia.com/animalclinic/ringworm/
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html

Be sure to call your own doctor if this does turn out to be ringworm because
ringworm is contagious and can be passed from cat to human (or even from
human to cat). Incidentally, there is actually no "worm" -- it is caused by
fungus.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'