Old April 24th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default another story supporting microchiping

On 4/24/2016 10:06 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 4/24/2016 8:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:

My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
years ago because there were several different companies that
manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

MaryL

The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
adoption fee.

Jill

Yes, that practice is what I was trying explain in the last sentence of
my message. All of the animal shelters and rescue groups in this area
now include microchipping in the adoption fee (and those fees do not
even begin to cover the actual cost that these organizations spend in
their efforts to care for and find homes for our four-legged friends).

MaryL

I understood and was confirming what you said. The adoption fees at
The Cat House (Beaufort county built a separate location just for cats)
are very reasonable. Only $25 and that includes spay/neuter, a
microchip and (legally required) shots. Those services are not cheap.
Bless the people who provide them at a low cost. Their only goal is to
find homes for these pets.

Jill