Old March 25th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default Royal Canin Green Peas and Lamb

Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what kind of allergies my cat
suffers from or if he's truly allergic at all. He began getting these sores
on his mouth. Like rodent ulcers...but he never has had allergies problems
like lesions on his legs, etc. like you see on other cats with allergies.
(My vet says he's lucky.) He itches a bit more than usual, but not really
excessive. Vet still thought that the sores on his mouth might be allergy
related...not sure if it was food allergies or environmental. We were
fortunate...treated him with antibiotics and not the typical steroid shots.
We also decided to put him on a limited ingredient diet, thus the venison
and peas. Sores cleared up. Then he began having issues with the pads on
his paws...swollen, sores...along with sores on mouth. Vet thought again it
may be allergies or may be a immune system problem (but then again, isn't
that what an allergy is??). Once again, we treated him with antibiotics, no
steroids, continued with the allergy food. Problem cleared up. I think his
problem is seasonal...he has these issues in the spring and fall (oops,
spring is here...I'll have to keep an eye on him). Anyway, I've told you a
long story...and the bottom line is, I'm not sure if feeding him the allergy
food has helped at all, but I figure it couldn't hurt. He loves the NB
venison and peas canned food (They use to make a dry version until the whole
pet food recall....yes, it was one that was recalled. They stopped making
it now. For dry, I have to get the Royal Canin from my vet but fortunately
I don't feed him much dry and the bag lasts awhile).
He's been eating this food for close to 2 years now.

S.
---
"cybercat" wrote in message
.. .

wrote

I'm in the same boat as you. I feed my cats the Royal Canin Venison
and Peas dry food because one suffers from allergies.

Sue, tell me this: how long have you fed it, and have you seen results?
Do you have any EGC cats, is that the sort of allergies they have? Gracie
gets linear granuloma and has twice had "rodent ulcer." Also, she will get
really runny stool if she goes too long without a shot. The vet says it is
another effect of allergies.

(I feed my cat the NB venison & peas canned food, too). Much
cheaper than the Royal Canin you get from the vet. (I tried to feed
mine the NB duck & peas but he wasn't as enthusiastic about it as the
venison & peas).

If Gracie likes this stuff you know I will look into a better value. Heck,
I don't pay $4 a pound for meat for us! I hope the duck was the right
choice, I only chose it because the vet said her allergic cat loves it.
Gracie eats Purina One Salmon usually, she loves it. It would be so
cool to get her off of Depo shots. As cats get older (same with us)
their systems are more fragile, and I worry about diabetes and other
things the shots might bring on.

Also, if your cat won't eat canned foods but you
want to get more moisture in her diet, you could add some water to the
dry food...makes it a little soft. Just an idea...

An excellent idea. I might even start her out that way.

Thanks.