Old October 6th 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Default Reading of the names

The podium is now yours my friends. Please step forward with any
tributes you wish to give.

Iowna comes forward with a much folded bit of braille paper.

For Belle, House of Vicki

Oh little Belle.

You have been in our lives
and in our hearts
for about nine years.

We found you after negotiations
Choosing carefully
A dog that would suit
the various personalities
and dog-love-levels in our family.

Your first visit was with
your foster-care parents
You explored. We wondered:
Is this our girl? Can we get used to the cherry eyes?

You moved into our home.
We adjusted. You adjusted.
The cherry eyes became a non-issue.
Except they did come to bother you.

A downtown appointment.
An exploration in letting you wander.
Poor timing of an open door.
A dash out along a busy street.
Cold cold weather. Running and searching.
Hoping you would be OK.
Finally discovering you tucked up behind a house.
Safe. But definitely crossed
a Very Busy Street. At least once.
Such relief at being reunited!!

Opportunistic snacking.
A bag of hamburger buns? What a full tummy.
Salmon lunch waiting on a low table. Oh so yummy!
Chocolate truffles at Christmas? Vet visit -- you were OK.
A pound of coffee beans found under the tree
Discovered spread one bean thick?
OK to sample, but not good enough to complete.

Heartworms? Handle it -- you tolerated the painful treatment.
Cherry eye removal to reduce irritation problems?
Loose dew claws? (Ouch when they caught in your collar!)
A champion during recovery from the surgery.

Many adventures.
Geopup. Car trips. Walks with Pappa.
Beagle Brigade (long slobbers of nerves).
Hanging with our Shadow boy.
(Remember the deep indentation of beagle imitating cat,
lounging on the back of the sofa?)

Then suddenly -- no sight. What has happened?
Quick diagnosis -- SARDS.
Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome.
So much to learn and relearn.
Grieving by your humans.
Adjustment for you.
But we all settled into the pattern.
We made it work. Together. What a team.

Getting older. Ouchy legs. Funny bumps.
Lots of love. Careful care. Blessed vets.

And oh the memories!
Walks with lots of pee-mail.
Romps through the rooms of our home when you could still see.
Ears for tears and whispered secrets.
Cuddles and puddles.
Restless wandering and panting.
Deep deep sleep, with soothing snoring.

Your memory and confusion
Along with the increasing aches of old age
Have led us to need to bid farewell.

Enormous gratitude and affection.
Hearts breaking at losing you.
But knowing it is better than an ending
filled with more pain, worse confusion.

Angelcakes. Bella Luna. Baby Girl.

Belle, we love you. We adore you. We will miss you.
We are blessed to have had you as our companion these years.

April 25, 2017

Iowna's remaining eye can't cry but she obviously is inside. She
dismounts the podium to make room for others.