Old December 3rd 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default IAMS cat foods

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
I picked up a small bag this afternoon of the new IAMS Multi-cat
formula. The ads I've seen say it's going to do the same things my
current combination of weight-control and hairball formula foods do.
Before I start phasing this stuff in, I thought I'd ask what folks
think of IAMS. The cats seem to really enjoy the sample, and are trying
to get into the bag as I'm typing. I have a 9 year old spayed female
who weights a bit more than she should and a lean, mean 4 year old
neutered male. We currently feed Nutro, but there are always a lot of
food nerds left after the kids crunch their way through the flattened
out triangular pieces of food. New food comes in smaller pieces.
Thanks for any input/ comments.

My cat loved Iams weight control/hairball food so much she got
fatter on it. You are probably way ahead of me and plan to
give her controlled portions 12 hours apart and not free feed.

In case you are not--my advice is not to free feed.

My successful method at getting her to lose weight (she came
to us obese from her previous owner) was to feed her premium
canned food (meat, not byproducts, as a first or second ingredient)
every 12 hours. I began with a bit more than she needed and reduced
that by 1/4 until she began losing. She began at 18 lbs and now weighs
10. I also noticed that her fur became shinier and silkier and she seems
happier and friskier on the canned food. But she certainl did LOVE
the Iams.