Old October 18th 03, 10:40 AM
Phil P.

"Jennifer Thompson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I just purchased my first vial of PZI insulin from my vet, for my
newly-diagnosed diabetic cat, Sylvester. The vial will last just under
two months, at his current dose of 4 units a day, which will probably be
increased to somewhere between 8 and 14 units a day, based on my vet's

past experience with cats Sylvester's size (17 pounds). That will mean
I will be going through at least a vial a month.

I'm a little surprised your vet started right off with PZI - we only use PZI
in cats that are difficult to regulate with lente or ultralente insulin -
which isn't that many cats - even though human insulin is completely
different than feline insulin.

The vial cost $130.00!

I paid about $700... for *twelve* vials of U40 PZI... and that's without a
discount. That breaks down to about $60 a vial... They have (had) an
minimum order of 3 vials which still cost less than $200.

The vet told me he would write me a prescription if I found the same
insulin somewhere else, for less.

Not a good idea - see below.

Does anybody here know of an on-line pharmacy or somewhere else I can
get this type of insulin less expensively?

Jennifer, you're treading on dangerous ground with PZI. There's only *one*
reliable source for PZI and that's:

Blue Ridge Pharmaceuticals
4249-105 Piedmont Parkway
Greensboro NC 27410

You can call BRP for a quote at 1-800-374-8006 - but they'll only sell to
vets. They're very helpful and will answer all your and your vet's
questions.

BRP is rhe only manufacturer of PZI that is applying for FDA approval
specifically for cats. This means BRP PZI is manufactured under FDA drug
policies. Its also the only insulin that's manufactured in large quantities
and tested *specifically* for cats.. Large production runs significantly
reduces variations from vial to vial.

PZI can be compounded by any compounding parmacist... However, its very
difficult to maintain consistency in drugs manufactured in small quantities
and by different people. IOW, every new vial of compounded PZI can be a
crap-shoot - with unpredictable results.

I strongly advise you buy your PZI *only* from Blue Ridge Pharmaceuticals.

Good luck.

Phil.