Old January 25th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

Default What do cats do at night outside?

honeybunch wrote in news:15cf61a6-2600-4689-8bd3-
:

I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. What goes on
out there? I live in an old surburban neighborhood in Philadelphia.
There is a high wall at the bottom of my garden separating it from a
school for the blind. The wall is about 10 feet high but he gets up
there and walks around on it and I am afraid he might jump down on the
other side and not be able to jump back up. That's one fear. At
night he can be comatose with sleep in his basket in my bedroom. I
turn out the light and while Im falling asleep , he silently wakes up
and jumps up on the window sill because something outside had gotten
his attention. I take a look and cant see a thing. I wonder if its
safer to let him out all night or just for a couple of hours in the
morning. He does his business outside and cries to go out when he
means business. I know that during the day he stalks birds and once
he chased a rabbit and it got stuck in a fence and made so much noise
that he ran off and I had to go and rescue the screaming rabbit. But
what goes on at night that facinates cats so?

Well, one thing they do is come to my patio door and howl at my cat (who's
inside all night) at 3 in the morning and wake everybody up. There are two
cats in our neighbourhood who do that every night, and we're fed up with
it.

Bobble