Old September 2nd 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

Default Pet Smart kittens & cats?

On 2 Sep, 06:31, Sherry wrote:
On Sep 2, 12:15 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:

I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
are
involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
assuming
that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
Sundays?
How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
put up
their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
Also, how
do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
pick
some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
question.)

This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
whether all
stores have the same policies.
Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.
They bring animals in
from the shelter, and from foster homes, on weekends for "adoptions".
During the week, and
any other time, there's an area of cages in the stores for a few cats
chosen to stay there. It's
called "multi-cat". They are cared for by the rescue volunteers or
staff. Petsmart donates food and
litter.
Petsmart does not sell cats, or dogs. The adoptions are through the
rescue agency. The same strict
screening applies to potential adoptors the same as if they were
adopting from the regular shelter location.
Adoption fees apply, usuall around $70-$100. The animals are already
neutered and are vet-checked
and current on their vaccinations.

It is a wonderful opportunity for these animals to get far more
exposure than they would advertised from
foster homes, or in the shelter.

Our Petsmart also donates bags of litter that may have damaged
packaging, and the same for food, for foster families
to use at home.

The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
have
anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
birds,
rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
dogs, cats,
puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
puppies,
it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
them
through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
can
get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
me.

I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
Any Brits know this one?

I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
wondered what it entails?
( adopting one from Petsmart?)
I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
of the
idea too?
Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh "o"- Hide quoted text -

This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
whether all
stores have the same policies.
Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.

What a fantastic idea!!!!

slapping my forehead

I can't think why no one over here hasn't come up with the same idea?
I wonder if it is because there are difficulties in getting around the
law here? I shall make it my mission to find out.

It is one of the best idea's that I have heard in a long time!! I will
get on to my line manager @ the cat protection league to see if we
can't try out a similar program over here. We don't have exactly the
same shops here, but we do have similar ones. Our local one is called
Pets at Home,(it's like a warehouse shop) which of course is an ideal
logo too.
As it is part of a chain of shops, I wouldn't expect it to happen
overnight, however, I do think this might be achievable if we ask in
the right way.

First, we have to find out if there is some law that prevents us from
doing a similar scheme here to that which have related to me- Then we
need to find out when it is best for them, & work around them (If they
agree to that is...) I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't,
because it gives them a good name in the name of charity. If people
knew that this was a regular thing, it would also be a crowd puller
too, which of course is in the shops benefit. You know how it is- you
go to the shop for milk, then come back with butter, milk, eggs,
bread, jam & tea cake too. Well, it is the same when you go to buy cat
litter too, isn't it?

It would bring a huge sigh of relief to some of our foster parents as
well. I know that over this summer, I have cared for a set couple of
kittens from 6 weeks old, then I had a mother & her 4 kittens, a pair
of snow shoes too, as well as a big fat tabby female for 4 weeks. I
know that I am not alone, because they were crying out for more foster
homes to care for these cats. As fast as one leaves, there is another
to take their place & we had to home these cats our self, which is
hard work, when you are waiting for the client to come your way,
things don't move that fast. Now, if we were able to actually show the
public what we had to offer, that would be a whole new ball game )

I'm delighted that I asked about this now. I just noticed people
mentioning that they got this or that cat from Pet shop, & although I
did realise that they were being adopted rather than bought, I didn't
like to make myself look a complete fool for asking. : I'm so pleased
I have now. If anyone has any other input that might help us out in
our quest to see if we can get a similar scheme up & running over
here.

We have adoption centers rather like you do, & we have open days where
we have like a carnival atmosphere, with rides, car boot sales, shows,
& stalls like a fete does, & that brings people into the centers, with
the same object- Whilst you are here"Why not look around & meet our
animals"? It does help too. We end up adopting 3 times as many cats as
we would normally do. Mind you, if we had the pulling power of a pet
shop, & an in house vet, there is a very high possibility that we
would have a similar response there too.

It can only do the shop the power of good if they were seen to be
"hands on" helping out the cat protection league, that is a sure fact.
We already get dinted tins of food from them & the odd bag of litter
here & there. I am certain that if we could present this in the right
fashion to them, that they would agree to it.
Any further input would be very much appreciated please?
Thank you Sherry, that has been very enlightening )
Sheelagh"o"