Old May 26th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default O.T. Memorial day in the U.S.

Christina Websell wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on may
30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My
fatther in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult it can
be on the families.

We do this on November 11th here in Britain.

I think we still do in the U.S., too - although it's "Veteran's Day",
now, and always falls on a Monday (due to our national preoccupation
with "three day weekends"). IIRC, "Memorial Day" was a spinoff of our
Civil War/War Between the States, so has been around a bit longer than
the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" (marking
the end of WW1, and formerly called "Armistice Day" here).