Old June 24th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Ping Sheelagh

On 23 Jun, 23:36, Igenlode Use-Author-Supplied-Address-
] wrote:
On 23 Jun 2007 sheelagh wrote:

[snip bobcats]

You know what? In the UK, the domestic cat is actually still
considered to be on the wild life list.......
The same as a Fox, or Badger, or even a viper..( the only poisonous
snake that is native to the UK.) I am sure that there must be plenty
more out there, dumped or abandoned, or even escaped from people
keeping them who are simply too frightened to go to the authorities &
admit that this has happened to them.

The Scottish wildcat isn't *quite* the same thing as a pet cat gone
wild, despite the fact that the two species are capable of
cross-breeding. I'm not sure feral moggies are reckoned as 'wildlife',
even here ;-)

(I believe our pets are supposedly descended from African desert cats
via the Ancient Egyptians and Romans, rather than the native European
forest variety...)
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://ivory.150m.com/Tower/

* Never assume malice when ignorance is a possibility *

The Scottish wildcat isn't *quite* the same thing as a pet cat gone
wild, despite the fact that the two species are capable of
cross-breeding. I'm not sure feral moggies are reckoned as 'wildlife',
even here ;-)

I don't know about Scotland, Sorry! Do you have wild cats(as such) up
there?

I only know that cats are on the wild life list in England, merely
because when I went to enquire about running a cattery, our local
council told us that the cat side of affairs was of no consequence,
however, the bit about running a cattery as a business was altogether
different because it is classed as running a business from your home.
I was quite surprised to hear this, because I couldn't imagine that
they were still on it.. Rather than added recently, it has been on it
for a long time..

Perhaps I miss understood. I will check to make sure on Monday for
sure
S;o)