Old June 25th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Default Ping Sheelagh

sheelagh wrote:
Hey I know you had a post about rabies take a look at what we have to deal
with here in Florida

[quoted text clipped - 88 lines]

I didn't intend this to drag out the indoor-outdoor discussion(?) at all,
just to show you some other interesting pictures of bobcats, although I can

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
biggest threat to cats here is traffic, dogs running loose & the 2-legged
predators as you've mentioned.

Marii, I know that you didn't. nor did I come to that!

The reason that I decided to respond to your post & your link, was to
point out to others that we don't have the right to declare that what
other people do with their cats, is wrong! You photo's really were an
eye opener for me, & I think there are a few others that are just as
surprised as I was too.

My point was to make it clear that until I saw your post, I remained
ignorant as to what life is like in the area where your son lives. I
have no idea what it must be like to be able to watch lynx, Bob Cats,
opossums & spiders the size of my palm in your garden @ all! I was
struck between awe, & Horror. I feel the same way that you do about
the back & forth debate regarding what is best to do with your cat.

However, if a few more of us were educated in the same fashion/ way
that you explained this to me, there wouldn't be so many ruffled
feathers in the group, because it would be obvious as to why you feel
as passionately about keeping your cat protected. Only a fool would
allow their cat out in an area that you so kindly shared with us!
Do you see what I mean?

*None of us should be so arrogant* as to think that we know what is
best for another person, & the way they see fit to care for their cat,
*unless it is plain for all to see that they are mistreating their
cat.*

As Inglenode so kindly pointed out:

"Never assume malice, when Ignorance is a possibility"

I was Ignorant as to why everyone felt so passionately about keeping
their cats indoors. Without the same threats over here, it is hard for
us to comprehend why you all felt that way. Now, we know better;o)
As you know Marri, My cats spent years wondering around where they
pleased, until the day that Ringo got shot. After that, everything
changed for us & our cats too. I am no longer prepared to take that
risk anymore. I have a few photos of Ringo with his injuries. But
unfortunately, @ the time I could only get my hands on a digital
camera, so I have to find a way of scanning them so that I can share
them with you all. Perhaps if a few people saw how Ringo looked in the
first couple of days after he was shot with a BB gun @ point blank
range, they might change their minds about the threat of humans around
their cat? We don't have the same wildlife threats that you do, but
our young men/ & women can be ruthless when it comes to pointing air
rifles and shooting cats. It is a sad fact that they seem to do it for
kicks, & It make me feel sick to think that they enjoy it too.

At the end of the day, they are all predators....
And it wouldn't hurt any of us to be a bit more tolerant/respectful of
how each other feels, & respect the reasons why they feel that way,
without calling anyone else names for the way they choose to keep your
cat.

I hope this explains why I chose to respond to your post?
It wasn't to open the debate once more. I know that you know me well
enough now to know that I would never choose to bring up an
inflamatory issue without good reason & cause.

Thank you for sharing that once again,
Sheelagh
PS: How is my Coco today )

he's usually such a good boy - although sometimes he & the little monster can
really do a number if I've been careless in the kitchen - we had a party here
over the weekend & I thought I'd carefully put away everything edible but
overlooked a paper bag of biscotti. Sure enough while we were outside, the
boys dropped the bag onto the floor & happily chewed away at most of the
broken pieces & even carried away some of their loot under the dining room
table. They never let an opportunity pass!