Old September 16th 03, 05:34 AM
Happy Camper

m. L. Briggs wrote:
Happy Camper wrote:

I took the
inner stiff paper roll from used up aluminum foil and began beating him
with it (not on the head area). I started very gently and payed close
attention to how he responded. Naturally, at the very first he acted like
it was a bad thing. As he became unfrightened of the "beating" it became a
play thing. It takes days to introduce them to it, you don't get immediate
gratification. Now it is total fun.

Why don't you call it "fake fencing" -- mightg make a better first
impression.

Usually, it is a pursuit sort of thing. I might make a pretend
threatening sound like a growel or heavy laughing of some sort and whack
him (or her) as he takes off. Then he gets ready for more play. Also while he is lying
down. I usually aim for the hind quarters. The paper roll is so light
weight, it hardly risks injury when he claws at it. I need to start
buying the 25' rolls instead of 75' since he probably will tear them up
with his powerful claws (this cat is about 14 lbs). When we do the fetch thing, he runs and
sometimes jumps on it, and does the rear foot pushing thing like it is a
big toy.