Old February 25th 05, 01:22 AM
jmcquown

Katz wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I've never been without health insurance; it would terrify me. As I
understand it, a major reason to get health insurance is the problem
of pre-existing conditions. If there are no gaps in your insurance
coverage, insurance companies have to take you, even if you have a
major problem like cancer or something. But if you get diagnosed
with something and don't have insurance, they're no longer required
to accept you. Something like that. I may have my facts wrong.

I would never want to be w/o insurance, either. I have several mild
chronic conditions that need pills, Dr. visits, etc. You've got the
facts just about right. It's part of the HIPPA law. You're allowed to
go w/o insurance for something like 100 days (?). I had to literally
count the days when I was laid off, then worked temp-to-hire w/o
insurance for 3 months. I just made the cut-off time for how long you
can be w/o insurance. I stocked up on my meds on my old plan, so I
wouldn't have to pay extra for them. I didn't want to pick up the
COBRA for that short a time. You don't have to get COBRA right away.
You can wait.

Katz

LOL I'm sorry, but that strikes me as funny. COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus
Budget Reconciliation Act) - I wrote the friggin book on it for The
Prudential when it went into law in the 1980's. Try paying those premiums -
you'll see exactly what your employer was paying for your health benefits.
Used to irk me no end when people would gripe they had to kick in $100 a
month for family health insurance. Take a look at the *real* premiums
sometime. As it is I'm paying $124/month for individual stand-alone
coverage and probably lucky to have it.

I'm so fortunate my doctor gives me free samples of the meds I need for my
stuff when he has them on hand. Prices for prescriptions are through the
roof.

Jill