Old December 30th 05, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Any suggestions for socializing a single kitty

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:50:15 -0500, "Wendy"
wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:26:41 -0500, "Wendy"
wrote:

The cat was found outside with his brother when he was around 2 1/2 - 3
weeks old. His brother didn't make it and he's been alone since. He's
around
7 weeks old and is doing a lot of biting. He's had a stuffed animal in
with
him all along as well as other toys and his crate is kept in an area where
he is around people a lot. I've been so tempted to put him in with a
litter
of kittens who are a few weeks older but he hasn't been tested for FIV
FeLV
yet.

The other day he launched himself at my face and bit me so this is
becoming
a problem and I don't feel right adopting him out until he has more social
skills.

Any suggestions?

I am a rescue worker (foster father) with a very similar cat from an
almost identical background. Goliath was just virus tested yesterday.
I put him in with 2 socialized kittens from the same litter and all he
can do is fight. I can't take him out because the other room is now
used for something else, so I have no place to put him.

I'll keep you updated on Goliath's socialization. Right now he's tired
and sleeping as far away from the others as he can get.

As for adopting him out, I just had potential adoptive parents in here
and they said "Good. He's a fighter. He would survive my cats!" They
may take him after he's neutered on Jan 8.

I had two singles around the same age last fall. Once they were tested I
took a chance and put them together. Like you describe they seemed to do
nothing but fight the first few times I let them have a 'play date'. I
finally just left them in one of the crates for the morning. When I went in
around lunch time they were sleeping peacefully and after that I could pick
up either without getting bitten myself. They both have been adopted out and
I've heard nothing but good things about their behavior so I guess putting
them together worked.

Unfortunately with the one I have now, there isn't another kitten his age to
let him play with and as I said he's still a little young for any kind of
accurate testing.

All you can do is to wait a week until the test will be more accurate
and then put him in with an older cat. He has to be socialized at some
point, right?

There are health risks to putting kittens from different litters together
but it might be worth it (after FIV FeLV testing neg) if it means the kitten
is socialized and stands a better chance of keeping his happy adoptive home.
I just wish I knew how to accomplish the same thing without a second kitten.