Old April 26th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat at vet--update, what the vet says

Poor Ginger.

My vet loaded her with fluids, gave her some pain meds and finally got some
urine.

It was NASTY. RBCs, WBCs, clumps of RBCs and WBCs, tons and tons of rods
and loads of calcium oxalate crystals.

The ventrodorsal radiograph clearly showed a stone in each ureter. Kidneys
were obscured by fecal matter, so it's not really known if there are kidney
stones. The lateral radiograph didn't show anything obvious in the kidneys.

Bloodwork should be back tomorrow, but I doubt it'll look very good,
considering how sick she is.

So, she's on 100cc's sub-q fluids daily, X/D food (trying to get her to eat
the canned, but she's never been interested in canned), 21 days of Zenequin,
pain meds, and a B vitamin complex. Recheck after the AB's are completed.

She came home looking more "normal" than when she left, which I'm glad for.
She never displayed typical cat in pain mannerisms, but wasn't acting
normal--one very noticable change was she was purring ALL the time. I guess
now I know that means she's hurting.

In addition to the standard vet medicine, I'm considering the remedy found
about halfway down on this page: http://www.holisticat.com/kidst_arch.html
Can't hurt, might help? Any reason I shouldn't?

Corey